Spot and Carpet Stain Removal Oxford
We offer a spot and carpet stain removal service in Oxfordshire. Please contact us to find out more. In the meantime please feel free to use the guidelines detailed below:
Emergency tips for spills and stains:
- Do not over wet into backing materials.
- Always test any detergent on an inconspicuous area of carpet prior to treating a stain.
- Use detergents at recommended dilution ratios.
- Scrape or blot up any excess prior to treatment.
- Never rub or scrub.
- Do not use inappropriate detergents on carpets or upholstery (i.e. washing up liquid, wash powders, household bleach, disinfectants).
- Always work from the outside of the stain inward to avoid spreading.
- Always apply the cleaning fluid to the absorbent spotting material not directly onto the carpet or fabric.
- Encourage quick drying by opening windows and doors where this is practical.
- Deal with stains as quickly as possible for increased chances of success.
- Keep the fabric or carpet as dry as possible.
Greasy stains (i.e. Chocolate, Butter, Lipstick, some Oily Food stains, some Ink):
- Apply a small quantity of Surgical spirit to some cotton wool or Q-tip (cotton bud).
- Using the lightly soaked cotton wool apply to the edges of the stain working inwards to the centre.
- Gently press (blot) with either Terry towel or kitchen roll, and repeat as necessary until the stain no longer transfers. Do not allow penetration into the back of carpeting or foam filling materials! Some fabrics may darken initially during this process.
- Using a detergent solution on cotton wool, dampen the area and follow up by blotting with kitchen roll or terry towel.
- Dry using a hairdryer keeping the dryer moving all the time, (this will help prevent watermarking).
Water based stains (i.e. Tea, Coffee, Fruit juices, Wine, some Basic Food stains):
- Soak up immediately using absorbent material, or suck up with a wet pick up vacuum.
- Rewet the area using tepid water on a small piece of sponge or cotton wool.
- Blot with dry absorbent material (Terry towel, kitchen roll), Repeat as necessary.
- Dry with hair dryer keeping the dryer moving all the time. (This will help to prevent watermarking).
Dried in Stains:
- Solution: Two litres of tepid water + a quarter of a teaspoon ONLY of carpet shampoo + one eggcup full of white vinegar.
- Rewet the stained area using the detergent solution applied on a piece of cotton wool.
- Blot using kitchen roll or terry towel as above.
- The final procedure for carpets following the wetting and blotting procedures should be as follows:
- Place 5 – 6 layers of kitchen roll on the affected area and place on top a telephone directory. Allow to dry over 24 hours, this will absorb any stain in the base of the fibres that are likely to work up to the surface during the drying process.
Whilst the stain removal guide may be simple and basic, it will assist in the professional’s chances of success should you find expert assistance required. If followed it should help prevent some quite common and expensive DIY stain removal damage.
The above is NCCA Recommendations